Friday 14 February 2014

Valentine humbug.

Valentine's Day again… and if you only make the effort to express emotion once a year then you're me you should rethink your relationship.

Or you could side with cynical old Nick Lowe, who wrote 'I Trained Her To Love Me':



Mind you, being alone leaves you with a lot of time to read, as Nick tells us in 'I Read A Lot', which I dedicate to my students. It reminds me that when I started my PhD, a recently-completed doctoral student gave us an orientation talk which included the line 'you can do a PhD or you can have a relationship, not both'. He had his own solution to this conundrum: a few weeks later he was nicked for cottaging in the local park.



Not that I see reading as some kind of inferior occupation for the lonely. The idea of dating a non-reader horrifies me. What would you do with the time? Talk? Extreme sports? Ugh.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Express emotion once a year? I would rather not express emotion at all.

Anonymous said...

"He had his own solution to this conundrum: a few weeks later he was nicked for cottaging in the local park."

Sad to see thoughtless homophobic slurs in liberal-leftie intellectual blog.

The Plashing Vole said...

I don't see what's homophobic about that - it's a factual statement.